Tuesday 13 November 2007

WIP 1: Crocheted bolero

Well, I decided I needed a project for the plane trip back to Australia (I can't watch movies for 24 hours!). I thought it was very unlikely I would be able to sneak knitting needles onto the plane, but hopefully I'll be able to get a wooden crochet hook on board. So, I've chosen to do the Short 'N Sweet bolero from Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker.

What I really wanted was the recommended yarn in the same colour as the red bolero in the book, but I wasn't able to find the yarn, especially in the UK. I had difficulty finding it at all in fact. I was also worried it might not get here in time for me leaving.

However, whilst in Newburgh at Twist Fibre Craft Studio this weekend for our knitting group, I dug through the bargain bin (I love that thing!), I found some lovely Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora for £2 a ball. It's in a pale purple colour, which is not what I had intended, but is ok (Colour 15525). For £10 the lot, it's more than ok!

Initially, I did the tension swatch, which also allowed me to learn the pattern. All seemed good, so I started the medium size. However, by the time I got to the 6th row of the pattern, I realised that it was going to be waaaay, to big (I think I was crocheting a bit looser this time), so I restarted using the small size. All seems to be great now, and it's amazing how quick crocheting is! I've done one pattern repeat for the back, all in a couple of hours. I'm supposed to be saving this for the plane, so I've forced myself to stop now and start my other WIP (see next post!)

No comments: