Monday 12 November 2007

Baby blanket number two (also the last for a while!)

One of my oldest friends (we grew up together) and his wife have had a baby (Congrats Wayne and Vikki). I knew about this prior to the birth, but I was still rather late with the blanket. Oh, well, it's done now and should have just about reached it's new owner (Alice) in Oz by now.

This blanket is very similar to the previous baby blanket I made, except this time I did everything slightly differently.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Merino Aran - very bright colours from the bargain bin at Twist Fibre Craft
Pattern: Based on the Sudoku blanket, this time using the full size squares in the pattern (although they ended up being 16cm rather than 20cm), and some of the pattern squares from the Sudoku pattern, but I got bored with them (after all, I had done it all once before!). Instead, I used a book Louise had bought: Knitting Stitches by Mary Webb. I picked a few nice patterns from there that looked like they would fit with size etc. In the end, I did 20 squares (4X5), with two colours and 10 different stitch patterns.

I didn't have much yarn left over and I was a bit worried, but it turned out there was enough of the orange (funnily enough, there wasn't any yellow!) left to do a row of chain stitch around the edge, followed by double crochet. It looks a bit bumpy in the pic because I couldn't be bothered blocking it before crushing it in a post bag!

No comments: