Monday 11 February 2008

Leaving Dundee: the Sunday Lamb Lunch

So, Louise has blogged on this already, but I thought I should, since the farewell lunch was for, er, me! This involved quite a lot of planning and stocking, since we were expecting about 20 people for lunch. Twenty pounds of Scottish lamb shoulder was ordered from the butchers. A week before, Jamie Oliver had done lamb shoulder for his 'jamie at home' TV series, and (handily) which book I had happened to get as part of my leaving present. So, the night before, Louise and I went on a covert operation to acquire a large amount of rosemary from the huge bush in front of a neighbour's house, and we prepared the lamb for cooking.

Sunday morning was surprisingly un-stressful, but once people started arriving, it was all go with getting drinks and finishing off veg. Louise and Diane had made starters, which I ate too many of. We made the hot mint and caper sauce for the lamb which is part of the Jamie recipe, and which I'm definitely going to make again, it was delicious. Accompanying was pots and pots of smashed veg: potato, carrot and swede, along with peas. The lamb turned out absolutely perfect after 4 hours in the oven. Tasty and falling off the bone.
Various lovely people brought desserts (thanks Jean, Laurence and Iva) and I stuffed myself. With the abundant lovely wine, port and whisky, it was a lovely day and I couldn't have asked for anything better for my last event on Dundee. Thanks to all who came and special thanks to Louise and Barry.

No comments: